Liveleak Forums

Liveleak Forums (http://forums.liveleak.com/index.php)
-   In Memoriam - Family and Friends (http://forums.liveleak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Rest in Peace Grandmother (http://forums.liveleak.com/showthread.php?t=91693)

dwencl 04-06-2012 10:46 PM

Rest in Peace Grandmother

2 Attachment(s)
My grandmother, Clarice Miller, died this morning. She was 80 years old. She was a great woman. Her husband was an alcoholic who committed suicide and she raised her two children independently. She was the first of three women to be telephone operators in a male-dominated workplace. She led a great life, lived long enough to see her two great-grandchildren grow up (ages 8 and 5).

Attachment 94072

She was diagnosed with liver cancer on the 15th of March. After running tests they also found cancer in her stomach. She was admitted into the hospital 5 days later due to dehydration and they did a liver biopsy. Four days later they found out that it was not the primary source of cancer.

On tuesday she was readmitted into the hospital due to uncontrollable vomiting. It was then that she was told that she had an aggressive, untreatable cancer in her gastric-intestinal area. It was also the day my father called me and told me he had plane tickets for me to be on a plane wednesday evening. I spent all day yesterday in her hospital room and watched the grossly inadequate treatment the hospital was providing.

At one point the doctor ordered the nurse to turn off the pain pump. 1/2 hour later my grandmother opened her eyes and began moaning in agony. I called her name and she saw me, which was what I was afraid she wasnt going to do. She couldnt talk, couldnt close her mouth, and soon went back to sleep. My uncle and mom immediately called the hospice to move her from the hospital to her room there. They came and took over, my grandmother was transferred to her hospice bed, and she opened her eyes briefly, but there was nothing in them. Vacant.

This morning my dad told me that she had died. The hospice nurse had stayed all night and washed my grandmother's hair and changed her into her own nightgown. I stood there and held her hand.

I feel so guilty because I havent seen her in nearly six years. I only have a few pictures of her, but none that are here in Oregon with me. This is what is imprinted in my mind and the last picture I have of her still alive in the hospital:

Attachment 93788

It is of my mom, my uncle, and my cousin praying for her suffering to end.

seanjo 04-06-2012 10:53 PM

I have no words good enough to say how sorry I am Dwen...God rest Her.

tarnoch 04-06-2012 10:59 PM

Sorry Dwencl, both my grannies, grandads , my mom and a son are gone,life goes on, just a lot emptier.

nicoal2 04-06-2012 11:01 PM

I'm so sorry, dwencl. She sounds like she was a great lady.

tRauma26100 04-06-2012 11:06 PM

Just lost my own Grandmother a few weeks ago.
Sorry for your loss.

ModusOP 04-06-2012 11:20 PM

So sorry D.......so sorry. I'm for once at a loss for words but I hope you handle things as well as possible D, you are an awesome person and I have great respect for the way you came from one place and ended up on top.....not many could do that and you should always be very proud of yourself.

Bashman 04-06-2012 11:30 PM

My sympathy goes out to you, Dwencl. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

gerryowen 04-07-2012 12:03 AM

With the angels, stand.

productofsociety 04-07-2012 01:07 AM

Much sorrow and love for you, D.... RIP Clarice

Dat1111 04-07-2012 01:53 AM

Rip