Liveleak Forums

Liveleak Forums (http://forums.liveleak.com/index.php)
-   North America (http://forums.liveleak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ridiculous Religious (http://forums.liveleak.com/showthread.php?t=92256)

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 02:18 PM

Ridiculous Religious

So... Instead of making a thread about some retarded non-issue, I'll make a thread about a real issue. The institutional, and unconstitutional, oppression of atheists in state constitutions.

North Carolina

Quote:

The following persons shall be disqualified for office:

First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.
Arkansas

Quote:

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.
Maryland

Quote:

That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.
Mississippi

Quote:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.
Pennsylvania

Quote:

No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth.
South Carolina

Quote:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.
Tenseness

Quote:

No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.
Texas

Quote:

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 02:23 PM

So yeah, there's just unconstitutional legislation in 8 states (nearly 20% of the states) oppressing atheists by denying them access to public office and in some cases even denying them a say in a court of law.

No big deal bro. Let's talk about the imaginary war on Christians though... They must have it so bad in America, I'm sure there's something similar against them holding public office or being a witness in court...

Kristen213 04-30-2012 02:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a Ron Paul supporter? Because I thought that one of the most important concepts that Ron Paul believes in is "States Rights". These states that you're mentioning are actually the perfect example of States Rights in action.

If they want to have only Pentacostal Christians run the government in Mississippi, they can do that.

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristen213 (Post 1526013)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a Ron Paul supporter? Because I thought that one of the most important concepts that Ron Paul believes in is "States Rights". These states that you're mentioning are actually the perfect example of States Rights in action.

If they want to have only Pentacostal Christians run the government in Mississippi, they can do that.

I do support Ron Paul, and Ron Paul would call these laws unconstitutional as I have.

State's have rights, to the extent they don't violate the federal constitution. IE; a state couldn't adopt slavery or deny Africans equal protection under the law nowadays even if a majority of the people in a state wanted it or passed the legislation.

It's against the law to enforce a religious tests as a prerequisite for holding public office. And state's do not have the right to change that, or create laws counter to it, without amending the US constitution first.

Article 6, paragraph 3

Quote:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 02:47 PM

There's no excuse for this other than bigoted persecution and it's not a state's right's issue because religious tests as a stipulation of holding public office violates the US constitution.

So try again I suppose.

YWAHW 04-30-2012 03:13 PM

Sorry, I don't see the Atheist oppression in Pennsylvania. It simply states that any person who has publicly acknowledged their belief in religion can't be discriminated against. You should understand the founders and the people who populated the PA commonwealth. Yes they were extremely religious, but they were not puritans. Meaning they desired to create an all inclusive commonwealth for any man with any belief. If you want to find religious puritans head south. Matter of fact, after going back and reading the rest of the quotes you posted, PA says the exact opposite of what many such as SC, Texas, and Tenn. say. I think you should edit your OP and remove PA b/c it doesn't fit in with what you are trying to claim.

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YWAHW (Post 1526040)
Sorry, I don't see the Atheist oppression in Pennsylvania. It simply states that any person who has publicly acknowledged their belief in religion can't be discriminated against. You should understand the founders and the people who populated the PA commonwealth. Yes they were extremely religious, but they were not puritans. Meaning they desired to create an all inclusive commonwealth for any man with any belief. If you want to find religious puritans head south. Matter of fact, after going back and reading the rest of the quotes you posted, PA says the exact opposite of what many such as SC, Texas, and Tenn. say. I think you should edit your OP and remove PA b/c it doesn't fit in with what you are trying to claim.

Well, you're right in that the Pennsylvania state constitution doesn't say that atheists can't serve in public office like the other 7 states mentioned. It's hard to say what it's implying though and I'd still argue that it's bigoted as it gives special protections under the law to a specific class of Americans; IE, people who "acknowledge the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments."

So no, I'm not gonna edit it. As I still believe it's undoubtedly an example of the general campaign by the religious to make atheists second class citizens; if they even consider them citizens...

YWAHW 04-30-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faurkbeans (Post 1526051)
Well, you're right in that the Pennsylvania state constitution doesn't say that atheists can't serve in public office like the other 7 states mentioned. It's hard to say what it's implying though and I'd still argue that it's unconstitutional as it gives special protections under the law to a specific class of Americans; IE, people who "acknowledge the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments."

So no, I'm not gonna edit it. As I still believe it's unconstitutional and undoubtedly still an example of the general campaign by the religious to make atheists second class citizens; if they even consider them citizens...

Yeah you may feel it's unconstitutional, but it doesn't discriminate against Atheists which your thread is about. It neither implies it or hints at it, you are however making that false claim but grouping it with the other states. Extremely disingenuous if you ask me.

faurkbeans 04-30-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YWAHW (Post 1526056)
Yeah you may feel it's unconstitutional, but it doesn't discriminate against Atheists which your thread is about. It neither implies it or hints at it, you are just viewing as that for whatever reason you have.

That one specifically is not unconstitutional, I'll grant you. How is that not bigoted though?

Further, what say you about the other 7 are blatantly unconstitutional?

subniggurath 04-30-2012 03:53 PM

That's fucking weak right there :(