Liveleak Forums

Liveleak Forums (http://forums.liveleak.com/index.php)
-   Computer Hardware (http://forums.liveleak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Work around. (http://forums.liveleak.com/showthread.php?t=105311)

Tinbuk3 10-14-2013 05:49 PM

Work around.

One the local kids brought me a WD passport he had tried to format in windows.
It appears to be propriety and will not accept any windows options even under dos or the download executables from the manufactures site as well.
So I'm trying the windows version of Data life guard as it recognized it and I'm presently writing zeros to it in full measure, about three hours if its correct.
Hopefully it will allow the sites software to partition and format it.
Anyone else have a software suggestion while I wait?

gerryowen 10-14-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinbuk3 (Post 1877405)
One the local kids brought me a WD passport he had tried to format in windows.
It appears to be propriety and will not accept any windows options even under dos or the download executables from the manufactures site as well.
So I'm trying the windows version of Data life guard as it recognized it and I'm presently writing zeros to it in full measure, about three hours if its correct.
Hopefully it will allow the sites software to partition and format it.
Anyone else have a software suggestion while I wait?

Please repeat the question in English?

DontTreadOnMe2 10-14-2013 06:53 PM

What is the partition labeled as?

I would put it on a linux box and blow the partition table away and re-partition it as a NTFS.

Then try to format it...

Best guess.

Tinbuk3 10-14-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe2 (Post 1877416)
What is the partition labeled as?

I would put it on a linux box and blow the partition table away and re-partition it as a NTFS.

Then try to format it...

Best guess.

It is proprietary and not a regular hard drive .. well it is however the mainboard on it is not.
It requires its own software .. and so far I have only found the data life guard to even access it.
I suspect/hope it will accept the manufacturers software after it is done.
There is a program from them that will format it to NTFS which I believe the kid was trying to do in the first place however it didn't work and made the mess Im currently trying to undo.
Won't know until its done .. another 2 and a half hours if the time elapse is correct.
Now if it were mine to play with .. :) I would slip another 320 board on it from a damaged regular drive and do it different.
The din straps are identical.

Correction: 16 minutes left .. read it wrong.

dan123 10-14-2013 08:07 PM

Erm...... Get some food, that always helps.

tarnoch 10-14-2013 08:25 PM

sorry, I thought this was about reach arounds... *closes door as he exits*

jayboulware 10-14-2013 08:38 PM

Did you try partition magic? http://partition-magic.soft32.com/fr...FUkS7AodV3gAYw

Tinbuk3 10-15-2013 06:07 AM

Got it back to where it was and its working fine.
Uses UDF file system in a 668 MB partition and wont except NTFS in the other, had to use eX FAT.

I'll tell him tomorrow and to pick up a 2.5 drive with an external USB 3.0 case if he wants to use NTFS .. meh.

AcidRAin 10-15-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinbuk3 (Post 1877620)
Got it back to where it was and its working fine.
Uses UDF file system in a 668 MB partition and wont except NTFS in the other, had to use eX FAT.

I'll tell him tomorrow and to pick up a 2.5 drive with an external USB 3.0 case if he wants to use NTFS .. meh.

Just delete the partition and re-partition the disk format to your needs.

Tinbuk3 10-16-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidRAin (Post 1877886)
Just delete the partition and re-partition the disk format to your needs.

Not that simple however I came back to say I figured it out.
As a usb drive the hardware on the drives mainboard wont allow access to the drive for complete mounting under windows and of course dos or any other OS for that matter.

So after telling the kid that he told me to keep it for my troubles and being it was mine to destroy I promptly went to my soldering station and configured a USB to SATA adapter and accessed it as a SATA drive. :) Damn if it didn't work, full drive in NTFS.

Went over to the kids house and gave it back to him and hes pleased.
Happy ending and his mom wants me to price a home system for her.

.. It don't get better than this. :)