Liveleak Forums

Liveleak Forums (http://forums.liveleak.com/index.php)
-   Misc (http://forums.liveleak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   about to buy a cordless drill... (http://forums.liveleak.com/showthread.php?t=105885)

cerve_zero 11-18-2013 02:57 AM

about to buy a cordless drill...

I will be buying a cordless drill next week and I don't know which one is the best...

I'm between makita and dewalt... whats the best according to you?

Its going to be for home and commercial light use...

Scrat335 11-18-2013 03:36 AM

Milwaukee or nothing. An 18 watt will do you right with a spare battery and if you're going to use it heavily get 2. Make sure it has a little LED light at the end to help you see the work better.

Dewalt is good too but why pay more for the same thing?

Hitachi are great supposedly but I have never owned one.

Tinbuk3 11-18-2013 04:07 AM

I have a dewalt 24 volt .. works great, I chuck a Qtip in it and use it to clean my ears. ;)
Might want to pick up an extra two battery's if you plan to use it all day.

dan123 11-18-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat335 (Post 1893569)
Milwaukee or nothing. An 18 watt will do you right with a spare battery and if you're going to use it heavily get 2. Make sure it has a little LED light at the end to help you see the work better.

Dewalt is good too but why pay more for the same thing?

Hitachi are great supposedly but I have never owned one.

Nah Milwaukee is useless.

Depends what it's going to be used for. If you're doing jobs using large holesaws, the Milwaukee will last about two minutes as will most of the others. Makita have issues with their 18v Lithium batteries although they do seem to have got it a little sorted now.

If I were you, I'd go for an older style Dewalt with the NiMH batts. The 18v usually comes with two 2.6ah and these will last the duration of most jobs you'll need to do. It's worth bearing in mind that something like the DW988 is heavy but they have continued to use a steel planetary gearbox in that model. If you can find one new, they are a real workhorse and the only issues I have come across are the odd switch failure, but very few and far between.

Hitachi, No! Nice and light but I've seen too many problems with them.

Bosch are good but don't go for the green domestic, you might as well buy the Black and Decker. If you spend the money on a blue Bosch, you'll find very few issues but you'll feel the strain on your wallet.

dad61 11-18-2013 09:33 AM

I love all my Dewalt tools

theblue8 11-18-2013 10:43 AM

Dewalt has great tools, but if you're just looking for a drill Rigid makes a great combo set (drill/impact driver) that's a pretty good deal (about $189). I own a few Rigid tools and never had a problem.

l8rm8e 11-18-2013 11:22 AM

Buy a DeWalt from a trade supplier ... not a branded consumer model.

Scrat335 11-18-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Depends what it's going to be used for. If you're doing jobs using large holesaws, the Milwaukee will last about two minutes as will most of the others.
If you're doing heavy work like plumbing and having to make holes use an old style corded drill. I use a 110v 1/2in craftsman I got at a yard sale ($6) for things like that. Don't rely only on a cordless. My battery drill is only used for lighter work.

Nothing wrong with Dewalt but I think they're over priced.

dan123 11-18-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat335 (Post 1893640)
If you're doing heavy work like plumbing and having to make holes use an old style corded drill. I use a 110v 1/2in craftsman I got at a yard sale ($6) for things like that. Don't rely only on a cordless. My battery drill is only used for lighter work.

Nothing wrong with Dewalt but I think they're over priced.

I agree with you there. Part of the problem is not understanding what should be used and when, the other part is laziness. Most people will opt to abuse a cordless rather than run leads for a mains supply.

Dewalt can be over priced but if you go for one of the older models, you can get a very good product at a lower cost.

jayboulware 11-18-2013 12:39 PM

Been using the craftsman 19.2 v setup for a couple of years now. Works great for moderate jobs away from a plug in. Get and carry a spare battery cause the job always takes longer than you think it will. They are calling it the "C3" series now, Im still using the NiMH batts and havent had any problems with memory because I use it till the battery is dead before recharging.