View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
zero-g
Premium Member

zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn6 View Post
I have a question;

I am thinking of building a double (one on top the other) 55 gallon wood burning heater for a part of a garage I want to turn into a Man Cave.

The space measures 13ft. wide X 20ft. long x 9ft. high. The space is already insulated from top to bottom.

Will this Wood Burning Heater be large enough to heat this space in reasonable time considering temps around here can reach 20 below 0 at times.??????

I could use Natural Gas, but I love the smell of a Wood Burner.

PS: I am also considering purchasing a heavy duty Stainless 55 gallon drum for the bottom drum. Is this advisable?????

Thanks for the advice.
Saturn6
I've seen those but not in actual practice.

the problem I see with a drum is that they are too thin to stand constant direct heat. (picturing the dozens of warped drums on job sites for burning scrap.)

at the very least, you would need to put several inches of sand under the fire to avoid direct contact.
but I'm sure it would heat a room that size.(a fan may help spread the heat faster though)