Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Member Support > Internet Related

Old 10-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
zero-g
Premium Member

zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

this is a wrt54gs
still have not connected to the internet through it.

there is a choice between router and gateway mode, it says set it to router mode if there is another on the network used as a gateway

I believe that both routers have the same ip by default.
going to try to change the ip and point it towards the gateway router.

1 more drink and it may have to wait till morning
I need some brushing up, thought I was a little more on top of this than I am.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
DontTreadOnMe2
LL_FFL Champion 2009,2012

DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!
Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100 Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100 Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-g View Post
this is a wrt54gs
still have not connected to the internet through it.

there is a choice between router and gateway mode, it says set it to router mode if there is another on the network used as a gateway

I believe that both routers have the same ip by default.
going to try to change the ip and point it towards the gateway router.

1 more drink and it may have to wait till morning
I need some brushing up, thought I was a little more on top of this than I am.
If the routers have the same IP then that would be a conflict for sure. Are both serving DHCP to their wireless clients? If so, you may want to split the IPs between the two. Say give the N 50 ips to hand out and the G 50 different IPs. It may be that you have to put them on different subnets.. one on 192.168.1.0/24 and the other on 192.168.2.0/24 and route the second network through the first. Several ways to skin the cat.

Edit: How are you wiring the second router? Is it WAN connection to the gateway router or normal switch side connection? I think if you give your G router a LAN IP that tis in the same subnet as the rest of the network and hardwire on a NON wan port. Then you would have to configure the Gateway and split IPs for the wireless DHCP.

Last edited by DontTreadOnMe2; 10-19-2014 at 05:12 AM.
DontTreadOnMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!
Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
So, I'm switching from dsl to cable internet.

what I had...

DSL modem , connected to that was an 8 port 10/100/100 switch.

coming out of the switch ......
2 terminals
1 network printer
2 wireless routers (1 g / 1 n serving assorted wireless devices)
1 Ethernet (dangling) for occasional laptop connection

everything worked fine

NOW

have cable internet with a Motorola surfboard sb6141 docsis 3.0 platform

I hooked it to the switch via cat5 Ethernet and the network fails
(8 port 10/100/1000 SMC networks e-z switch smcgs8p-smart)

I can get 1 terminal to connect to the internet using any of the 8 ports but can't talk to the printer or any other devices. (printer is set with static ip, checked and correct on the sending terminals)

the other terminal will not connect to the internet (only if it is connected directly to the new modem)

the wireless n linksys e1200 will connect to internet

the Linksys wireless g wrt54gs will not connect

I have rebooted everything , checked wires, ip addressing , nothing works.
if I run the same set up back through the DSL modem, it works perfectly.

Comcast tech was stumped, they don't really do much past the modem, and the signal coming from the modem is good.

I've never had this issue before

compatibility?

HELP

Hi. Young man, did you get this sorted?

Let me take a quick look at what you have?
One sec...

~And The Beat Goes On~
philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #14
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!
Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100

Ok, its pretty easy peasy to a point.

First you have a modem now that works a bit differently. The only thing the isp will use for your network from it is its mac addy. You will need to build something like your own private infranet, building a stack "so to speak".

OK, the first thing you will need to remember is that there will be a master piece of equipment on the network and everything else is subservient to that master. Now the first part will be your modem. so it gets booted first and the isp will (if is already hooked up with them prior) give its mac a IP (Internet protocol address). Kinda like your own phone number,LOL.. Now this part is controlled by mostly your ISP.(Part of Their network)

Your network will be on the demand side of the modem, so the very first thing you will need is a cat 5 from the modem to the WAN (Wide area Network)connection on your ROUTER. This device is the first in the chain that will be many links of your network.(This is your networks master) In the setup you have now, this (first Router) is the only device that is hooked directly to your input cat on your modem. This will always be booted second on the network initial build.(The modem is always first) Remember the chain part of my statement. The handoff has to happen down the line. It just works best that way. If you boot the downstream device first, it has no idea what its hooked to, well cause its not powered up.

First boot the modem, let it connect to the isp(this could take several minutes) then boot the First (YOUR FASTEST) Router, it should be hooked directly to the modem's cat5 connection and the Routers WAN port. The Router will NOW see the modems mac addy and set itself up. it will create a stack of ips starting from probably 192.168.1.100 .. That is a good router you have (The linksys) so I would use it. The hub will go into port 2 and if I remember right you should have 5 ports in total. You can plug something into ports 3,4,5 Like the Router or whatever. If I remember right that router will supply like 250 IPs or something. Just remember that the info has to be handed off DOWN STREAM, especially in a virgin network. So start at the beginning of the network and work your way down the chain.

EDIT, And yes, the first computer is a demand, It should be the last thing in the chain turned on, So it can have a IP from the priorly booted device handed down. See how it works?

Most linksys Routers work much faster if you leave port 1 open, if you expand the network beyond 5 demands(terminals) Thats why I said leave port 1 open on the first (MASTER) router, that plugs into the modem.

Hope this is not too confusing, I typed this half asleep, LOL.

I will check back tomorrow to see if you need me. Have a great night, Sir..

Hope it helps, Waves to all... Philo.

~And The Beat Goes On~

Last edited by philomath; 10-19-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
lipskip
Fucking Up The Program

lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100
Activity: 93%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Maybe It's a Russian modem and it knows you're a 'mo?

We'd all be better off if you didn't have no internet no ways.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Tinbuk3
still winning

Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100
Activity: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Ah that's better, a good nights sleep a cup of joe and my eye goblins combed out of my beard Im ready for the day .. more or less.

Don't forget to uninstall all and any software associated with your old setup.
If you forgot to do that you may have to uninstall the newer software if any as well.
They tend to share some files as it were.
One solution( should that be the case )is to simply do a restore before the newer install and go from there.
Just an after thought really, software/hardware conflicts are common and it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a go.
I think you will get it sorted but it helps if you have a clean slate to work with, in a manner of speaking.
In most cases windows should walk you through it if it sees it as a new install.
Might save you some time and the frustration of having to listen to us.

ADDED: If you go with a fresh start like mentioned install the software before plugging the modem in, it will either ask you to plug it during the process or stop it and inform you it can not continue in which case you can plug it in first them install.
As a rule though software first in most cases with the exception of legacy devices.
Or, if any, read all txt/pdf associated with it if there is a disk with it or on the manufactures web site.
I know how people just love to read instructions first.

Last edited by Tinbuk3; 10-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Tinbuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
unschlagbar
Was zum Fick!

unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!unschlagbar is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,128,025,429, Level: 100 Points: 1,128,025,429, Level: 100 Points: 1,128,025,429, Level: 100
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
So, I'm switching from dsl to cable internet.

what I had...

DSL modem , connected to that was an 8 port 10/100/100 switch.

coming out of the switch ......
2 terminals
1 network printer
2 wireless routers (1 g / 1 n serving assorted wireless devices)
1 Ethernet (dangling) for occasional laptop connection

everything worked fine

NOW

have cable internet with a Motorola surfboard sb6141 docsis 3.0 platform

I hooked it to the switch via cat5 Ethernet and the network fails
(8 port 10/100/1000 SMC networks e-z switch smcgs8p-smart)

I can get 1 terminal to connect to the internet using any of the 8 ports but can't talk to the printer or any other devices. (printer is set with static ip, checked and correct on the sending terminals)

the other terminal will not connect to the internet (only if it is connected directly to the new modem)

the wireless n linksys e1200 will connect to internet

the Linksys wireless g wrt54gs will not connect

I have rebooted everything , checked wires, ip addressing , nothing works.
if I run the same set up back through the DSL modem, it works perfectly.

Comcast tech was stumped, they don't really do much past the modem, and the signal coming from the modem is good.

I've never had this issue before

compatibility?

HELP
Most DSL-Modems have a build in router but it seems like your cable modem is missing one. You need a router to connect your local network to the network of your cable ISP. Without it's just one client that can connect.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Tinbuk3
still winning

Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!Tinbuk3 is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,465, Level: 100
Activity: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Good point unschlagbar.
I would assume he is connected to the cable, from there to his DSL and there to his PC.
If it doesn't do it auto then he needs to put in the default address of the DSL.
Shouldn't be difficult to find on line.
Still, wouldn't hurt to start clean with the software if any, windows may do it auto that way.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
zero-g
Premium Member

zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Just got my first coffee in me, all is well with exception of my access point cuz it was late, I drank and couldn't find my usb/Ethernet adapter for my lappy to make a tethered connection,(can't release/renew the ip via wireless).

Thanks for everyones help, I will detail the problem/resolution once I get another cup or 2 in me.

Last edited by zero-g; 10-19-2014 at 02:10 PM.
zero-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschlagbar View Post
Most DSL-Modems have a build in router but it seems like your cable modem is missing one. You need a router to connect your local network to the network of your cable ISP. Without it's just one client that can connect.
Bingo, Sir. Thats why I said the Linksys router he had would now have to be his master handing out IPs in the setup he has now. the router in his dsl unit was his master handing out IPs in his old setup.

~And The Beat Goes On~