Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Special Interest Forums > All Special Interest Topics > Political thought / philosophy

Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Tyrfingr
PhilosophyLeaker

Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!
Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100 Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100 Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Wouldn't be necessary to attempt artificial improvement if instead people sat down and improved themselves and stopped - or at least aspired, to not become idiots. More times than not it's a concious choice to be stupid, willing ignorance and turning blind eyes to obvious issues and problems are apparent proofs i think. One and the most major explampe is that they choose stupidity for the sake of profit no matter what the cost is for the planet or anybody else.

Furthermore the real problem with artificial manipulation anyway, is that nore science or any other field can explain why we make the choices we do. Since that part of us can't be manipulated, it's pretty much good luck with any improvement. Increased intelligence gives absolutely *no* guarantees for a better person. I don't think anyone imagines that the current statesmen and politicans are stupid, they're not, depraved perhaps and morally and ethically compromised in various degrees from person to person. So what happens if someone like that were to have the intelligence increased when the values are fucked up ?. Well obviously and logically, you can multiply the damage that such a person does with the current depraved bastards who are in charge of politics and business.

If people want to artificially improve people, then people have to first be sufficently improved in their values. I think it's pretty obvious. I hope people don't think that values are given solety by nature and genetics. For the most part the most significant amount of it is taught, both by mentors and also by experience and environment. Even if you have the best material in the world to construct, say a violin from. The craftsman will determine the quality of the result. And if people think that a tailored school will do it for them, wrong again. That too can be observed quite easily, and also easily figured out. Not every individual are the same, curriculum is the same, hence the outcome will be varied quite heavily. Keep the A's and discard the rest and you're right back where we are now. Only with more intelligent individuals where the valueless and discarded have a greater capacity for doing evil and harm in much more intricate ways.

"Entire ignorance is not so terrible or extreme an evil, and is far from being the greatest of all; too much cleverness and too much learning, accompanied with ill bringing-up, are far more fatal." - Plato
Tyrfingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
l8rm8e
LiveLeaker

l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100 Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100 Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefish View Post
Its ethically idiotic. End of story. Unless of course you think Hitler had the right idea and you want to bring back his concept of a master race, playing god with genetics. And if you really think you're smart enough to get it right, its probably an indication you're not.
Imagine a bunch of clever boffins come up with a way to alter human skin cells so they aren't damaged by UV light? (ie: no skin cancer).

Also ... imagine that after years of no skin cancer ... another bunch of boffins come up with a "gene therapy" that will not only alter your DNA so you're protected ... the same treatment will now alter any offspring you may have .. so they are born resistant to UV damage?

How does that scenario "gel" with your Hitleresque nightmare?
l8rm8e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
Tyrfingr
PhilosophyLeaker

Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!Tyrfingr is a forum GOD!!
Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100 Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100 Points: 31,246,329, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8rm8e View Post
Imagine a bunch of clever boffins come up with a way to alter human skin cells so they aren't damaged by UV light? (ie: no skin cancer).

Also ... imagine that after years of no skin cancer ... another bunch of boffins come up with a "gene therapy" that will not only alter your DNA so you're protected ... the same treatment will now alter any offspring you may have .. so they are born resistant to UV damage?

I hardly think anyone could calculate how any modification would come out with any guarantees, for all we think we know, the altered DNA might as well mutate to a deadly cancer simply by some natural evolutionary process that we had no idea about how it works.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
l8rm8e
LiveLeaker

l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100 Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100 Points: 1,190,772,870, Level: 100
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfingr View Post
I hardly think anyone could calculate how any modification would come out with any guarantees, for all we think we know, the altered DNA might as well mutate to a deadly cancer simply by some natural evolutionary process that we had no idea about how it works.
I get ya ... but that's a different concern to a Hitler styled master race thingy.

I don't know if you've noticed ... but lots of DNA research at the moment includes the insertion of bio luminescence sequences into various experimental subjects ... glowing green mice ... etc.

I know it's trivial ... but scientists are getting REAL close to being able to make "anything" glow green ... without side effects. This is only minor ... but is solid research towards inserting other "features" into DNA without Toxic Avenger styled mutations.
l8rm8e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
TheDoctorAaron
Conservative American!

TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!
Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:

Like any tool or technical development, it's a matter of how you use it and your purpose for developing it. For good or for evil. The knowledge itself is neither good or evil.

"You Could Think I'm Wrong, but That's No Reason To Stop Thinking"

“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
TheDoctorAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Tyrfingr
PhilosophyLeaker

Quote:
I get ya ... but that's a different concern to a Hitler styled master race thingy.

I don't know if you've noticed ... but lots of DNA research at the moment includes the insertion of bio luminescence sequences into various experimental subjects ... glowing green mice ... etc.

I know it's trivial ... but scientists are getting REAL close to being able to make "anything" glow green ... without side effects. This is only minor ... but is solid research towards inserting other "features" into DNA without Toxic Avenger styled mutations.
I only heard of some research that they conducted. I'm kind of like this when it comes to the long term effects over generations though. The ideas are probably solid for all that, and if it does work without any side effects than it could have some serious benefits. Longetivity is perhaps something that the human race doesnt need at this moment - im thinking the already sky rocketing population figures on the planet.

Toxic avenger would be cool though
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
lipskip
Fucking Up The Program

lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!lipskip is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,536,560, Level: 100
Activity: 93%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

i would like antenna coming out of my head. like curb feelers.

maybe with eyes on the ends.

and my penis head removed to the palm of my hand.

"that guy is always praying"

"he seems very peaceful"

"but why does he always look right at me when he prays?"
lipskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Shizzah
Dumpster Diving

Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!
Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100 Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100 Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefish View Post
Its ethically idiotic. End of story. Unless of course you think Hitler had the right idea and you want to bring back his concept of a master race, playing god with genetics. And if you really think you're smart enough to get it right, its probably an indication you're not.
lol ahh a religious person... what a suprise! thank your god that directing human evolution doesn't necessarily means blonde hairs and blue eyes for everyone but it help us lower the chance of getting a form of cancer, heart diseases, huntington, you name it.
Shizzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
TheDoctorAaron
Conservative American!

TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!
Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
lol ahh a religious person... what a suprise! thank your god that directing human evolution doesn't necessarily means blonde hairs and blue eyes for everyone but it help us lower the chance of getting a form of cancer, heart diseases, huntington, you name it.
How about a cure for Shizzahism (can't get it up teeney weeny syndrome).

"You Could Think I'm Wrong, but That's No Reason To Stop Thinking"

“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
TheDoctorAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Shizzah
Dumpster Diving

Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!Shizzah is a forum GOD!!
Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100 Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100 Points: 820,456,602, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorAaron View Post
How about a cure for Shizzahism (can't get it up teeney weeny syndrome).
you only wish your god had granted you a Phallus as grand as mine is old man!
Shizzah is offline   Reply With Quote