Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Member Support > Computer Hardware

Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
ERiC_DrAyViN
"Hayden I am your father"

ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!
Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Default Internal SATA drive showing up as external/removable disk?

So I realised I did not have enough space for steam games on just one 250GB hhd. So I have just opened my pc and popped in my old 150GB 10k rpm drive and now when I start my pc it is showing up as a removable disk as if it is an external usb stick or hhd, wtf?!

How come my other two internal sata harddrives don't do this and did I use the wrong sata port or something?
"ur 1st sentence is LOL. however, according to my sources, u had something u desired to communicate regarding polonium213. unless it was the incompetent whiney gibberish from euro lib shitbag cowardly vaginas, probably, then u can address it via pm " -- Polonium213

you just don't hit a kid, especially not your own! -- meno
ERiC_DrAyViN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!
Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100

Its because the drive bios (on the drive) and your MB chipsets drivers ability to transfer at the best rate is in that setting. Its not a 7200 drive is it? Sounds like you probably have a nvida or amd chipset and at least vista sp2, and probably a 64 bit OS.. Nothing to worry about

~And The Beat Goes On~
philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
ERiC_DrAyViN

ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!
Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100

Hi phil.

My specs are:

1x WestDig Veloceraptor 150GB 10,000 rpm (this was the problem drive)
1x WestDig Veloceraptor 250GB 10,000 rpm
1x WestDig .. Caviar Blue 500GB 7,200 rpm

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
i5 3570K
Gigabyte z77-UD5H
ASUS 560ti GTX 1GB 830Mhz

well I went into the bios and set that HDD to "IDE" instead of "AHCI" and it got rid of the problem, I just hope putting it to IDE doesn't slow the speed down?

I was confused because normally I would just set the sata port in bios to disable the hotswap ability (if that's what it's called). But the disk was not showing up in the bios sata ports like my other two drives are but I found it in the GSATA area of my bios maybe I put it in some sort of special sata port or something? no idea. I just went for port easiest to access.

As for the "nothing to worry about" yes I saw that on a lot of other forums but I don't accept it. An internal hard disk should never act as a removable drive if you ask me unless I set it to. I don't want to see a "safely remove" icon for an internal drive. So setting it to IDE seems to work for now anyway, just not sure if it will be slower than SATA 6Gb/s in IDE, we'll see.

On a side note: Strange thing is my 3 external Lacie hardisks don't give that safely remove icon since I installed the nvidia GPU drivers. But flash sticks work normally which is odd. I hope I don't corrupt data on them just turning them off.
"ur 1st sentence is LOL. however, according to my sources, u had something u desired to communicate regarding polonium213. unless it was the incompetent whiney gibberish from euro lib shitbag cowardly vaginas, probably, then u can address it via pm " -- Polonium213

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!philomath is a forum GOD!!
Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100 Points: 126,250,835, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERiC_DrAyViN View Post
Hi phil.

My specs are:

1x WestDig Veloceraptor 150GB 10,000 rpm (this was the problem drive)
1x WestDig Veloceraptor 250GB 10,000 rpm
1x WestDig .. Caviar Blue 500GB 7,200 rpm

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
i5 3570K
Gigabyte z77-UD5H
ASUS 560ti GTX 1GB 830Mhz

well I went into the bios and set that HDD to "IDE" instead of "AHCI" and it got rid of the problem, I just hope putting it to IDE doesn't slow the speed down?

Yes IDE is a much slower transfer rate than SATA or serialATA. In fact if my memory serves me right, the fastest transfer rate for IDE is quite a bit slower than the slowest speed of any SATA. But then again it all boils down to what you want to do with the drive and what makes you happy.

Quote:
I was confused because normally I would just set the sata port in bios to disable the hotswap ability (if that's what it's called). But the disk was not showing up in the bios sata ports like my other two drives are but I found it in the GSATA area of my bios maybe I put it in some sort of special sata port or something? no idea. I just went for port easiest to access.
Its because of the older bios on the drive you are talking about, and your MB/chipset drivers choosing the best way to get the fastest transfer rate for that one peripheral (Drive)

Quote:
As for the "nothing to worry about" yes I saw that on a lot of other forums but I don't accept it. An internal hard disk should never act as a removable drive if you ask me unless I set it to. I don't want to see a "safely remove" icon for an internal drive. So setting it to IDE seems to work for now anyway, just not sure if it will be slower than SATA 6Gb/s in IDE, we'll see.
See upper comment about IDE vs SATA transfer speeds.

Quote:
On a side note: Strange thing is my 3 external Lacie hardisks don't give that safely remove icon since I installed the nvidia GPU drivers. But flash sticks work normally which is odd. I hope I don't corrupt data on them just turning them off.
Again, check my response on the peripherals (Drive in this case) bios and its optimal transfer setup. Your computer had chosen the setup that would allow THAT device to work at its best rate. That does not in any way mean that you can not change it (which would slow it down, cause its not optimal anymore) But it does get rid of that pesky little icon in your taskbar, LOL..

~And The Beat Goes On~
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
philomath
Gettin jiggy witit

Actually, I took a sec to look it up, just to refresh my memory on the rates. My first hit says it all.

Please note the disadvantages of each drive and its reference to different drivers to drive the transfer rate of SATA drives.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/IDE_vs_SATA

~And The Beat Goes On~
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
ERiC_DrAyViN

Thanks phil I'll have a read.

Also, the reason I want the notification is I (in the past) did get those notifications for multiple devices and sometimes accidentally removed the wrong one which is annoying to have to start it up again. And if you have more they seem to stack together in the one notification icon. It's just convenience really. The less the better and keeping it to external devices only, I can look and see it there in the taskbar and immediately know i've forgotten to remove a stick or something. But with it there permanently for the internal I would need to click on it to see other devices

BTW, Phil, I changed the USB port for my external Lacie drive and right clicked my taskbar and looked at the notification settings as was able to see it was set to "hide notification and icons". I changed this and it popped up no problem. But when I had it in the other usb port and I clicked on the taskbar and went to set the icon to appear there was not option for icons. I also tried a usb stick in that port and nothing.

Is this a faulty port or is it set like because my keyboard and mouse are usb and not icons appear for them. And my rows of usb ports are different colors. Maybe they are for different things I've no idea. I've got 4 blue and 4 red sata port on rear of my pc.

But I seem to have got it working, yet it was definitely working with icon before I think it was when installed my graphics card it stopped. I hate inconsistencies.

thanks for the help Philo, appreciate it!

Last edited by ERiC_DrAyViN; 02-04-2013 at 05:13 AM.