Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Community > Your News Headlines

Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
fazzazz
Bassteroids Champion Japanese Baseball Champion Donkey Rocket Champion Ollie Skates Champion Crazy Cars Champion Crab Volleyball Champion MJ Baby Drop Champion Eskiv Champion 3D SuperBall Champion Capture The Flag Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Gary Golf Champion Watch Out Champion Cell-Out Champion Jason's Pong Champion flyplane Champion Shape Game Champion Arkanoid Champion Curveball Champion Helicopter Champion Target Champion

fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!fazzazz is a forum GOD!!
Points: 53,214,927, Level: 100 Points: 53,214,927, Level: 100 Points: 53,214,927, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Default Cannabis more damaging to under-18s, study suggests

Adolescents who are regular users of cannabis are at risk of permanent damage to their intelligence, attention span and memory, according to the results of research covering nearly four decades.

The long-term study which followed a group of over 1,000 people from birth to the age of 38 has produced the first convincing evidence, say scientists, that cannabis has a different and more damaging effect on young brains than on those of adults.

Around 5% of the group used cannabis at least once a week in adolescence or were considered dependent on it. Between the age of 13 and 38, when all members of the group were given a range of psychological tests, the IQ of those who had been habitual cannabis users in their youth had dropped by eight points on average.

Giving up cannabis made little difference what mattered was the age at which young people began to use it. Those who started after the age of 18 did not have the same IQ decline.

"This work took an amazing scientific effort," said Professor Terrie Moffitt of King's College London's Institute of Psychiatry, one of the authors.

"We followed almost 1,000 participants, we tested their mental abilities as kids before they ever tried cannabis, and we tested them again 25 years later after some participants became chronic users.

"Participants were frank about their substance abuse habits because they trust our confidentiality guarantee, and 96% of the original participants stuck with the study from 1972 to today.

"It's such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains."

The research, on people in Dunedin, New Zealand, was carried out by researchers from King's College and Duke University, North Carolina in the United States and published online by PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences).

"Marijuana is not harmless, particularly for adolescents," said Madeline Meier from Duke, one of the researchers. While eight IQ points on a scale where the mean is 100 may not sound a lot, she said, a drop from 100 to 92 represents a move from the 50th to the 29th percentile. Higher IQs correlate with higher education and income, better health and a longer life.

"Somebody who loses eight IQ points as an adolescent may be disadvantaged compared to their same-age peers for years to come," Meier said. The study took into account the education of the participants, which can be disrupted by drug use.

The authors say that young people tend today to think that cannabis is harmless. "Increasing efforts should be directed toward delaying the onset of cannabis use by young people, particularly given the recent trend of younger ages of cannabis-use initiation in the United States and evidence that fewer adolescents believe that cannabis use is associated with serious risk," says the paper.

"The simple message is that substance use is not healthy for kids," said Avshalom Caspi, of Duke and King's, one of the leaders of the study. "That's true for tobacco, alcohol, and apparently for cannabis."

Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research at King's, who was not involved in the study, said the paper was impressive and if the same results were found in other research, public education campaigns should be launched to warn of the dangers of cannabis to younger people. "The Dunedin sample is probably the most intensively studied cohort in the world and therefore the data is very good. The researchers, who I know well, are among the best epidemiologists in the world. Therefore, although one should never be convinced by a single study, I take the findings very seriously.

"There are a lot of clinical and educational anecdotal reports that cannabis users tend to be less successful in their educational achievement, marriages and occupations. It is of course part of folklore among young people that some heavy users of cannabis seem to gradually lose their abilities and end up achieving much less than one would have anticipated. This study provides one explanation as to why this might be the case."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...nder-18s-study
fazzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
stra
LiveLeaker

stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!stra is a forum GOD!!
Points: 37,655,959, Level: 100 Points: 37,655,959, Level: 100 Points: 37,655,959, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

If this is all true(which I doubt, wreaks of bs) then it would just be another reason to decriminalize it. The only reason so many teens smoke weed is because it's easier to get than alcohol.
stra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
YWAHW
LiveLeaker

YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!
Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100 Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100 Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
The authors say that young people tend today to think that cannabis is harmless.
Yeah, well maybe some of that has to do with the bullshit propaganda the government came out with to outlaw it. When those lies were revealed for what they were, people tended to disregard any warning they were given.
YWAHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
gambino316
Five Knuckle Shuffle
Autobahn Champion Cop-For-This Champion

gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!gambino316 is a forum GOD!!
Points: 142,215,852, Level: 100 Points: 142,215,852, Level: 100 Points: 142,215,852, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

I know this is true. For anyone who's ever smoked weed from a young age knows it's true.

I went to a top private primary school from the age of 6 to 12 - and I was with some insanely clever individuals. We went to Secondary School together, as a group, and as every young teen we all started smoking weed about 14. The guys who got scholarships to this school, one of the top private schools in the UK, the moment they started smoking weed they went downhill. It was a totally straight downhill spiral for them.

We all smoked weed harcore through our school and college days, before we all left for Uni. I meet them now, those straight A scholarships guys are working 25K a year jobs doing mundane office bullshit. They're average joes. Literally nobodies in the scale of their privileged upbringing. My friends, from school, who never smoked with us, range from hedge fund managers, to accountants, to project managers at Deloitte, KPMG and Goldmans.

I'm telling you as an utter fact....Weed fucks you up on such a crazy level that your potential in life is completely ruined.

Some of the most intelligent and hardworking young minds of my school have turned out as fucking nobodies all down to smoking chronic.

I'd rather my kids just got pissed all the time. Least with alcohol you wake up with a hangover that teaches you a lesson. Cannabis is poisonous. You smoke it, make it a habit, before you know your life passes you by.
gambino316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
repost
Dumpster Diving

repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!repost is a forum GOD!!
Points: 48,529,596, Level: 100 Points: 48,529,596, Level: 100 Points: 48,529,596, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambino316 View Post
I know this is true. For anyone who's ever smoked weed from a young age knows it's true.

I went to a top private primary school from the age of 6 to 12 - and I was with some insanely clever individuals. We went to Secondary School together, as a group, and as every young teen we all started smoking weed about 14. The guys who got scholarships to this school, one of the top private schools in the UK, the moment they started smoking weed they went downhill. It was a totally straight downhill spiral for them.

We all smoked weed harcore through our school and college days, before we all left for Uni. I meet them now, those straight A scholarships guys are working 25K a year jobs doing mundane office bullshit. They're average joes. Literally nobodies in the scale of their privileged upbringing. My friends, from school, who never smoked with us, range from hedge fund managers, to accountants, to project managers at Deloitte, KPMG and Goldmans.

I'm telling you as an utter fact....Weed fucks you up on such a crazy level that your potential in life is completely ruined.

Some of the most intelligent and hardworking young minds of my school have turned out as fucking nobodies all down to smoking chronic.

I'd rather my kids just got pissed all the time. Least with alcohol you wake up with a hangover that teaches you a lesson. Cannabis is poisonous. You smoke it, make it a habit, before you know your life passes you by.
this is true. same experience minus the privilege. but ive also seen people go from gutter to good money (not weed smokers). every weed smoker i know just seems like they cant get their priorities straight
repost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
gabbyuk
Dumpster Diving
Boxteroid Champion

gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!gabbyuk is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,508,492, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,508,492, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,508,492, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

thats why i'm a dumb fuck
gabbyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Wimbly
Bleeding Heart Realist

Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!
Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100 Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100 Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100
Activity: 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

So is tobacco

If that was the case please EXPLAIN HUMAN HISTORY prior to collective societies
Wimbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
faurkbeans
Face-Ripper Monkey

faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!faurkbeans is a forum GOD!!
Points: 694,966,751, Level: 100 Points: 694,966,751, Level: 100 Points: 694,966,751, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Bull ish... Someone who isn't me has been smoking since they were around 14-15. And I can assure you that their IQ is well above average.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
HossDP
Phoenix

HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!HossDP is a forum GOD!!
Points: 671,816,252, Level: 100 Points: 671,816,252, Level: 100 Points: 671,816,252, Level: 100
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

All mind influencing drugs (including caffeine) are a potential danger to developing minds.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
_SCARFACE_
Dumpster Diving

_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!_SCARFACE_ is a forum GOD!!
Points: 33,344,156, Level: 100 Points: 33,344,156, Level: 100 Points: 33,344,156, Level: 100
Activity: 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Quote:

^^ pretty much true, if they get stoned every damn day
_SCARFACE_ is offline   Reply With Quote