Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Rules,FAQ's and Site Support. > LL Main Site Support

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
LL_Hayden
LiveLeaker

LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!
Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100 Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100 Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100
Activity: 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
Default FAQ's

Front Page
We do get a lot of questions about the front page so here are some examples and some answers which will hopefully clear a few things up for some of you.

Q. Who picks the features?

A. A small group of people are responsible for choosing features for the site. Moderaters do not choose features (although they may suggest them) and members can only suggest features by using the relevant section in the forum. The people who do choose the featured videos do not have any direct contact with members.

Q. A video of a puppy playing with a ball? How is that redefining the media? LOL.

A. Redefining the media was a tagline coined for the site based on our hope to cover as wide a range of media as possible. From hardcore reality footage through to viral content. It doesn't mean any one post has to be edgy or extreme.

Q. Why do we see so much "x" and not as much "y" ?

A. Much of this will depend on what people upload and what is currently "hot" in terms of news items. We don't balance the front page in terms of offensive and not offensive content, religious content, or political content.

Q. Why don't you just show *insert your favourite type of video" instead of all the other junk?

A. The front page is a rolling advert for the site. It does exist to show hot items or items we believe will generate discussion but it is also a device for gaining hits and new users. LiveLeak contains a huge variety of material and we try to get that across with features. Remember, sites as big as LiveLeak doesn't come cheap and hits and ad revenue ensure we can continue. If we didn't run this site as a business it would have folded in 06. The front page helps in this regard.

Q. I uploaded an awesome video and it didn't get featured.

A. There could be one of several reasons for this. It could be that nobody on the team saw the video and you didn't suggest it here in the forums, it could be that the video just doesn't sit well with the other choices, or it could be it simply isn't suitable for the front page (this can happen even if some of us think it's a cool video).

Last edited by LL_Hayden; 04-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
LL_Hayden
LiveLeaker

LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!
Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100 Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100 Points: 904,713,989, Level: 100
Default Moderators

Some FAQ's regarding the mod team setup at LiveLeak. This information will probably only be valid until just after the launch of 2.0. I will update this information at that point.

Q. Who are the mods?

A. The mods are volunteers chosen from our members who give their time to help run the site as smoothly as possible. They are doing this because they enjoy LiveLeak for what it is.

Q. Why are their identities secret?

A. Because they are members who enjoy and use the site having an anonymous mod identity means they can continue to enjoy LiveLeak without being pestered continuously or attacked for their actions by people determined to blame a mod regardless of the situation.

Q. Why do you let your mods be biased against me? I didn't do anything...

A. No mod action can be carried out without leaving a trail for us to check on should a complaint come up. It's incredibly rare to find a mod abusing their position. In fact I can only think of one case where proof came to light and that particular person is no longer on this site.

Q. How do you choose mods?

A. Sometimes we put out a call for people to volunteer and sometimes we might approach a member. We check posting history and also talk among the team as to the suitability of the person. Naturally you cannot be 100% sure until you try someone out. One thing we do try to ensure is that there is a good mix of political beliefs and personalities to avoid any bias issues arising. So far it has worked well.

Q. Are all mods on a power trip?

A. Nope. The other mods would get annoyed with that very quickly.

Q. Can I be a mod?

A. If you think you can do it and if you think you can be impartial in your decisions (or at the very least pass the decision to someone else if you feel it's a subject you can't be impartial about) then give me a shout.

Q. How can I tell if a moderator is a genuine one?

All moderation actions are carried out as "LiveLeak Staff". You will not get a profile for individual mods either.

Q. If I see that "LiveLeak Staff" has edited my post or given me a warning who do I reply to?

Just click on the username and send your message. Our system will ensure it gets to the right moderator.

To say the mods are essential to LiveLeak is an understatement. I have been accused many times of being oversensitive when it comes to people criticising the mod team. I am, how could I not be protective of people that deal with a difficult job without payment and solely because they dig LL?

Last edited by LL_Hayden; 04-22-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
LL_Hayden
LiveLeaker

Default Racism and Racial slurs.

Some FAQ's on racism and LiveLeak's stance on it.

Q. Why do you block racial slurs? Is it political correctness?

We block or censor anything we consider to be a threat to the site. Whether people are offended by comments or not is not our concern but experience has shown us that, left to run riot these things snowball until that is all you see. We do not want a site like that and we like to think most of our members wouldn't either.

Q. What about my freedom of speech?

Your freedoms on LiveLeak are outlined in our rules, whatever rules govern freedom in your country do not apply here (unless in alignment with our rules).

Q. Why are you censoring me for my beliefs?

We aren't, we are asking you to voice your beliefs within our rules which is a perfectly reasonable request. We can't tell you not to be racist, that's not our place. But we can tell you certain terms are unacceptable on LiveLeak.

Q. Why is it only racial slurs against minorities that are censored?

We only censor that which creates a problem for the site. If, for example, anti white racism became a major issue we would act against it in the same way.

Q. If they can say it in a video why can't I say it in comments?

There are videos of people setting themselves on fire here on LiveLeak. You could do that too but it wouldn't necessarily be the smart thing to do.

Q. Why isn't there a list of banned terms?

Between people changing words, coming up with newer terms, and the ever changing nature of the site it would be a nightmare in terms of upkeep. Common sense should work just fine in this respect.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
LL_Hayden
LiveLeaker

Default Infractions

Q. How does the infraction system work?

If you post a comment which is in breach of our rules a moderator will reject that comment and you will earn an infraction point. If you collect 10 points in any single month you will receive an infraction ban which disables your account until an administrator can review it. Following a review one of two things will happen.

1) You will be issued a warning and your account will be reinstated. The warning will remain on your profile. If your behaviour continues you could lose your account permanently.

2) Your account will be permanently banned from LiveLeak.com

Q. Are infraction points permanent?

No. If you manage to avoid breaking any more rules anything up to three infraction points can be removed per month.

Q. I was banned without any infractions. Why?

For a serious or repeated breach of the rules administrators will simply ban your account. You are free to submit a support ticket if you think this is unfair but only do so if you haven't broken the rules otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time.

We will also remove any account deemed to be a troll account and as we point out in the rules being a private site we reserve the right to remove any account / refuse membership without warning.
Closed Thread