Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Special Interest Forums > All Special Interest Topics > Religion and spirituality > Religion and spirituality archive

Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
NoGODisGOOD
FreeThinker and Humanist

NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!
Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100 Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100 Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default Two kinds if faith

"If faith"

Which is real?

Two kinds IMHO... but only one is real.

Numero uno.

One kind of faith is the religious or what I refer to as supernatural faith. This implies that the faith is based on a deity belief system and hence above the natural world as supernatural.

An example: "Allah/God/Jesus/Mithra/Dionysis/Rah/etc... will take care of me because I feel I follow his example or I believe"..... SUPERNATURAL.

Numero dos.

Real faith. In other words something that is repeatable and identified as figuring out that something will surely happen again after seeing it time and time again.

An example: : "I saw the sun rise again today because I am alive to witness it. I've seen it happen so many times that it is predictable, therefore... I have faith the sun will rise again tomorrow".

Yeah, we know what supernatural implies.

So... if religion has all claim to its "faith" how does it explain the natural? Oh yeah... The Bible... WOW! (PUKE)

To the religious:
Why do you not have faith that water can keep you hydrated?
Why do you not have faith that food will actually keep you from hunger?
Why do you put locks on your doors if you have faith that you are protected?
Why do you pray when you know you can make a better difference than chance?
Why oh why oh why would you need MONEY.

Why would you need a gun if you are being taken care of?

Why would you need to kill another religious people if you are taken care of?

:P

Last edited by NoGODisGOOD; 10-26-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
DragonsGirl
LiveLeaker

DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!
Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100 Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100 Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Why do you assume that people with religious values don't have "both" kinds of faith?

That's like saying that a LPN only has to deal with one kind of crap, when in reality they might deal with a lot of shit... from stubborn patients, to hospital politics, to actual fecal matter.

Faith, along with many other words, can have more than one meaning. For example, I have faith in my ability to cook a turkey, but I am not a person of faith.

People of faith have what you call "real" faith too and most also aren't so delusional that they don't realize what the basic needs for survival are; including the importance of protection and security.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
figatova
LiveLeaker

figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!figatova is a forum GOD!!
Points: 266,671,423, Level: 100 Points: 266,671,423, Level: 100 Points: 266,671,423, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I would say there are at least four kinds of faith, possibly five.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

Two of which are applicable to religious faith.

-belief that is not based on proof

and

-a system of religious belief

I'll leave your questions for the religious but I think the answers are pretty obvious.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
NoGODisGOOD
FreeThinker and Humanist

NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!NoGODisGOOD is a forum GOD!!
Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100 Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100 Points: 38,868,006, Level: 100
Default not my assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsGirl View Post
Why do you assume that people with religious values don't have "both" kinds of faith?

That's like saying that a LPN only has to deal with one kind of crap, when in reality they might deal with a lot of shit... from stubborn patients, to hospital politics, to actual fecal matter.

Faith, along with many other words, can have more than one meaning. For example, I have faith in my ability to cook a turkey, but I am not a person of faith.

People of faith have what you call "real" faith too and most also aren't so delusional that they don't realize what the basic needs for survival are; including the importance of protection and security.
I am merely pointing two kinds which figatova realizes and suggests others.

It is interesting to me how others perceive it.

In the realm of a theist it takes on several meanings and with non-believers something else which is interesting.

There is a duality that may be common ground and also a line in the sand I wish to explore. To put it better... a premise which encourages rational debate.

Last edited by NoGODisGOOD; 10-27-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
DragonsGirl
LiveLeaker

DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!DragonsGirl is a forum GOD!!
Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100 Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100 Points: 118,796,879, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGODisGOOD View Post
not my assumption
My mistake...

Of course, if that was not your assumption, then I'm curious what the purpose of these questions were:

"To the religious:
Why do you not have faith that water can keep you hydrated?
Why do you not have faith that food will actually keep you from hunger?"

As, it should have been clear to you that they DO have faith that water can keep them dehydrated and that they do have faith that food will keep them from hunger... right?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
TheDoctorAaron
Conservative American!

TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!TheDoctorAaron is practically a forum god!
Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,501,593, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsGirl View Post

^^^^What she said. Common sense faith!

"You Could Think I'm Wrong, but That's No Reason To Stop Thinking"

“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
NoGODisGOOD
FreeThinker and Humanist

Default For clarity...

Religious people make the claim that they believe so strongly because of their "FAITH". Fair enough. I believe more strongly in "MY FAITH" than in a religious one.

If in your religious faith you "KNOW" your sky buddy is looking after your best interests... Religious "FAITH" completely relies on the supernatural.
So... then why would you have locks on your doors or possess any weapon for self defense? It makes common sense to me to be able to defend yourself sure.

Yet where is the fine line where god looks after you and free will intercedes? Seems pretty shady to me.

Rational "FAITH" relies on the reliably percieved events. Religious "FAITH" relies on a foundation of stories.

I think reality trumps your dilusion.

Last edited by NoGODisGOOD; 11-02-2010 at 12:16 PM.