Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Member Support > Computer Hardware

Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
ERiC_DrAyViN
"Hayden I am your father"

ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!
Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Default Weird booting problem....loud fan noise and CMOS error

Ok so i got the BSOD problem sorted and now there's a very strange problem of when I turn on my pc I can sometimes hear a loud fan sound and my pc does not start up . Think it's time for a new rig and fuck this shit.
But when I fiddle with things it can come on at random.

The last thing I did was pull the power going to one of my HDD and my pc started up properly.

These are brand new hard drives btw and it was happening with the old ones two so it's not them, also I put a brand new LP4 to 2x SATA power in and same problem as with my old one. So it's not that either.

Checked my power in BIOS all normal.

Also CMOS to me means the little bastard battery is at it again, I know I had this before with the CMOS and I sandpapered the areas the battery connects to and it was fine. The connections were as tarnished/corroded before when I got CMOS error.

You may be asking why I don't try it but the thing is when the battery gave the problem last time, I did not get that weird fan sound and no booting up, not even the BIOS is accessible.

The bloody thing runs as smooth as a prepubescent boy's bottom covered in warm Vaseline, when I do get it started, not a problem. It seems to be when I turn it off overnight it has trouble starting.

(It's like when a car gets old, one thing breaks, you fix it then something else breaks then something else and it's an endless task chasing after piddly little things when you say "ah fuck it! I'm getting a new car ffs!")
"ur 1st sentence is LOL. however, according to my sources, u had something u desired to communicate regarding polonium213. unless it was the incompetent whiney gibberish from euro lib shitbag cowardly vaginas, probably, then u can address it via pm " -- Polonium213

you just don't hit a kid, especially not your own! -- meno
ERiC_DrAyViN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
k88n
Vagiterian.

k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!
Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100 Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100 Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How is the power supply doing? Sound like the GPU didn't start or something as it is very strange that you do not get any image. As nothing is read from the harddrive in the initial stages of booting up.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
ERiC_DrAyViN

ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!ERiC_DrAyViN is a forum GOD!!
Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100 Points: 198,793,957, Level: 100

Yes, k88n I got it booted, went into the BIOS and everything normal. I restored defaults in the bios. I don't have a tool for checking the psu, I can pick one up tho might be useful.

I can hear the HDDs spin up and even the fans on the gpu start up along with case and cpu fans. It's just that no picture comes on the monitor and the monitor cables are all dust free I checked them. So it's either PSU, or the motherboard as in a bios corruption or something or maybe a dodgy cr032 batt but I don't see how the battery would affect booting, I thought it was just for the date and time.

Coz I don't know why it would run so smoothly when I eventually do get it started.
"ur 1st sentence is LOL. however, according to my sources, u had something u desired to communicate regarding polonium213. unless it was the incompetent whiney gibberish from euro lib shitbag cowardly vaginas, probably, then u can address it via pm " -- Polonium213

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
jayboulware
Santa with a twist.

jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!jayboulware is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,559,456,331, Level: 100 Points: 1,559,456,331, Level: 100 Points: 1,559,456,331, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Did you replace the drive cables? The 'fan' noise may be a drive thrashing. Are the drives set for master/slave properly?

*Militant Atheist, proselytizing nothing.
jayboulware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
k88n
Vagiterian.

k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!k88n is a forum GOD!!
Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100 Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100 Points: 393,398,353, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERiC_DrAyViN View Post
Yes, k88n I got it booted, went into the BIOS and everything normal. I restored defaults in the bios. I don't have a tool for checking the psu, I can pick one up tho might be useful.

I can hear the HDDs spin up and even the fans on the gpu start up along with case and cpu fans. It's just that no picture comes on the monitor and the monitor cables are all dust free I checked them. So it's either PSU, or the motherboard as in a bios corruption or something or maybe a dodgy cr032 batt but I don't see how the battery would affect booting, I thought it was just for the date and time.

Coz I don't know why it would run so smoothly when I eventually do get it started.
So you basically get through the initial boot up when BIOS loads. Then it goes black when the OS is supposed to boot? Or is it black before the BIOS have loaded?

As for the PSU, a normal voltmeter to check the rails is enough to check whether it's alright. However now it sounds unlikely to be PSU as you said it all moves and BIOS isn't sending you any beep messages indicating some hardware isn't working.

Last edited by k88n; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 PM.
k88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
moefugger
Cygnus-X1

moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!
Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100 Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100 Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

PSU fan or the PSU going bad.
I would replace the whole thing, when the fan goes bad and allows the PSU to overheat and shutdown the PSU is usually damaged.
Power supply, be sure the connectors are plugged in good.
Do not use the puter till you replace it or find the loose connector, they are fairly cheap and one with slightly more power could be good.
Do not use it now.
You will destroy the hard drives.
They are certainly damaged already.
This can give you an idea of what PS to get.
If you use it add 125 to 150% to the result.
If it says 400 watt use 500 to 600 watt.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp
moefugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
ERiC_DrAyViN

OK so I started my pc today and there was that loud fan noise. So I stopped the case intake fan with my finger and it got rid of that loud cessna light airplane noise. Then restarted my pc and it started as normal with no fan noise.

It could be coincidence, because I don't know how a pc case fan can stop it from booting. Although this saga only started when that loud fan sound started. It does seem to be that intake fan with the blue LEDs making the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88n View Post
So you basically get through the initial boot up when BIOS loads. Then it goes black when the OS is supposed to boot? Or is it black before the BIOS have loaded?.
Um, whenever the splash screen for my motherboard come on then I know the pc will start as normal. But if i turn on my pc and the monitor stays blank then I know it will not boot up. When I start my pc first thing that happens on a good boot is all my led's on my keyboard flash, then my mouse wheel lights up then my monitor stand by flashing blue light stops flashing and stay lit, that's when my motherboard splashscreen come on and I know it will go to bios then windows starts.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Yorkie
LiveLeaker

Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!Yorkie is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,497,851, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,497,851, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,497,851, Level: 100
Activity: 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

have you checked your jumper settings on the Drives? Slave and master, makes sure they are'nt both set the same

What are you? Fucking high!? Chill out dude.~SgtRock
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
YWAHW
LiveLeaker

YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!YWAHW is a forum GOD!!
Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100 Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100 Points: 467,590,568, Level: 100

Sounds like you have out of date bios. Have you checked the manufacturer's page for an update?
YWAHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
mouseITup
LiveLeaker

mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!mouseITup is a forum GOD!!
Points: 91,368,072, Level: 100 Points: 91,368,072, Level: 100 Points: 91,368,072, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Motherboard voltage regulator on the fritz will give intermitant startup problems like this.
It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on intellectuals, in their attempts to control the world...and since it is futile to reason someone out of a thing that he was not reasoned into, we can conclude that Marxism owes its remarkable power to survive every criticism to the fact that it is not a truth-directed but a power-directed system of thought. - Roger Scruton
mouseITup is offline   Reply With Quote