Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Entertainment > Games

Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
Wimbly
Bleeding Heart Realist

Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!Wimbly is a forum GOD!!
Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100 Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100 Points: 708,663,659, Level: 100
Activity: 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
Default Great Moments in Gaming

Unexpected, emergent, impressive. Share yours:

It’s not often I can say in a game ‘I’m sold.’ There are great worlds you can immerse yourself in though you get what you fully expected all along – The Elder Scrolls series for example. Then there are those that create an immersive world and fail to do much with it: that was the great failing of Far Cry 2. But I absolutely love the games that give us moments to cherish, laugh, cry and remember.

One such moment was one I had when playing 1993’s Seal team, a Vietnam-themed tactical shooter, perhaps the granddaddy of them all. I was patrolling through the jungle when the VC jumped us and one of my AI buddies shot him before I even knew he was there. Sold.

Another was GTAIII. I was cruising the docks looking for hookers to pick up (heh, try that line out of context) and a dude came up and carjacked me! Dragged me out and spe off before I could react. Till then I thought I was the meanest carjacking crook in town! Laughed my ass off, and I was sold.

And it is with pleasure I can report some decent resale value. I was playing good old Vietcong (2002) just now, for old times’ sake. Me and my squad of four were tasked to patrol a village. I was on point because my point man’s performance is middling at best. I come around a corner and the apocryphal ‘boy in a loincloth’ was behind a bush raising his arm as if to throw something at my patrol. I shot the bastard dead.

Mission Failed. It was a civilian, and in his hand was nothing but a small hand axe he was chopping the tree with. Sold. I wish newer games would impress me as much.

So share us with us the moments when gaming sold you.

If that was the case please EXPLAIN HUMAN HISTORY prior to collective societies
Wimbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
seanybiker
LiveLeaker

seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!seanybiker is a forum GOD!!
Points: 13,711,933, Level: 100 Points: 13,711,933, Level: 100 Points: 13,711,933, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Hmmm Sniper Elite V2.
Bought it the day it came out, never played the first game but decided I would give V2 a go for the craic. I knew all about the xray view when you done certain shots. I was enjoying the game, busting snots as you do. Then I got a bollock shot on a fella and it went into the xray view mode, I nearly burst me own bollocks with the laughing. I played that game way to much trying to make the opposing army a bunch of eunuchs, was the first game I ever got a platinum on actually. Great game.
seanybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
seanjo
Spunking Fucknuts!

seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100
Activity: 83%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbly View Post
Unexpected, emergent, impressive. Share yours:

It’s not often I can say in a game ‘I’m sold.’ There are great worlds you can immerse yourself in though you get what you fully expected all along – The Elder Scrolls series for example. Then there are those that create an immersive world and fail to do much with it: that was the great failing of Far Cry 2. But I absolutely love the games that give us moments to cherish, laugh, cry and remember.

One such moment was one I had when playing 1993’s Seal team, a Vietnam-themed tactical shooter, perhaps the granddaddy of them all. I was patrolling through the jungle when the VC jumped us and one of my AI buddies shot him before I even knew he was there. Sold.

Another was GTAIII. I was cruising the docks looking for hookers to pick up (heh, try that line out of context) and a dude came up and carjacked me! Dragged me out and spe off before I could react. Till then I thought I was the meanest carjacking crook in town! Laughed my ass off, and I was sold.

And it is with pleasure I can report some decent resale value. I was playing good old Vietcong (2002) just now, for old times’ sake. Me and my squad of four were tasked to patrol a village. I was on point because my point man’s performance is middling at best. I come around a corner and the apocryphal ‘boy in a loincloth’ was behind a bush raising his arm as if to throw something at my patrol. I shot the bastard dead.

Mission Failed. It was a civilian, and in his hand was nothing but a small hand axe he was chopping the tree with. Sold. I wish newer games would impress me as much.

So share us with us the moments when gaming sold you.
Elite 1984...now deep into Elite Dangerous 2014-onwards.

I remember my first "flight Simulator" on the ZX81, prehistoric now.

I suppose my first modern gaming obsession must have been Medal of Honour, so laggy on 56k...

If you read it on the internet, it must be true.

Abraham Lincoln
seanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
snipershot
LiveLeaker

snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!snipershot is a forum GOD!!
Points: 675,981,438, Level: 100 Points: 675,981,438, Level: 100 Points: 675,981,438, Level: 100
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Yea elite was kind of special. The game created arguably the most cutting edge genre in pc gaming. I dont do retro though, so as good as it felt back then, its a case of rose coloured glasses because there was literally nothing else at the time. Chuckie egg and donkey kong never really did it for me.

The next great game for me was street fighter. Another genre breaking title. There were attempts previously, but nothing really touched streetfighter in the arcade or on the snes. I mastered this game, but today id probably have trouble doing a hurricane kick,

In 99 there was this shitty game called everquest. It was virtually a 2d/3d sprite fest mmorpg. But for the first time, 50-100 people all fighting together against big dragons.
I gave up on the shitty graphics and US pings after about a month and got on with my life.

Until 2004 when eq2 launched, where upon friends of mine around the world and myself promised each other to see this game through. Once in a life time type deal. So i played that on and off for the next 6 years. I cant even look at the game now. Burnout is real.

I should mention counterstrike seeing as thats the only other game i invested a lot of time in, but meh.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
vOgl
LiveLeaker

vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!vOgl is a forum GOD!!
Points: 25,914,885, Level: 100 Points: 25,914,885, Level: 100 Points: 25,914,885, Level: 100
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

COD4, beginning of the sniper mission in Tschernobyl, the moment your buddy stands out from the grass (actually the whole mission was one of the best minutes in modern gaming I remember).

01:00

There are so many, I'll come back to this, great tread!