Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Member Support > Computer Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Hollrobb
LiveLeaker
 
Hollrobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US , Tennessee
Posts: 430
Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default No way in.

I was recently looking at an old dell laptop i got a few years back and noticed it had originally had windows 98 se installed. When i got it the hard drive was broken and after replacing the hard drive i installed windows XP only because i had a few install disc and several Product Key codes to use.
Well i was bored and last weekend and for a project i installed windows 98 se on that old laptop being that was the os the laptop originally came with according to the Product Key decal. Last fall i stopped at a yard sale when i seen what i thought was an old desktop pc that turned out to be an empty case. But i did spot a dell "Getting started Microsoft Windows 98,second edition" recovery/installation disc/booklet still in the plastic wrap for 2 dollars.
Well i put the disc in the old dell c600 latitude and followed the prompts all the way through and when all was done and restarted the view on the screen was less then half the size and after locating the drivers needed to fix not only the display but audio and Ethernet adapter as well. The problem i am in need of your help is,,, i can not figure a way to get the drivers on the system. The dvd drive does not work because no driver installed, the usb same thing and no Internet connection because of the same problem,No drivers installed.
So i came here to ask for help. Anyone have any information as to how i can get a driver file installed?
Thank you.
Hollrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
moefugger
Cygnus-X1
 
moefugger's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: US Jacksonville
Posts: 8,152
moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!moefugger is a forum GOD!!
Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100
Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100 Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100 Points: 989,537,196, Level: 100
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
Default

Get to the point idiot.
Remove 99% of that babble.
__________________
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!...
Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FHRITP
moefugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
zero-g
Premium Member
 
zero-g's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 9,911
zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!zero-g is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100
Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100 Points: 1,924,783,271, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollrobb View Post
I was recently looking at an old dell laptop i got a few years back and noticed it had originally had windows 98 se installed. When i got it the hard drive was broken and after replacing the hard drive i installed windows XP only because i had a few install disc and several Product Key codes to use.
Well i was bored and last weekend and for a project i installed windows 98 se on that old laptop being that was the os the laptop originally came with according to the Product Key decal. Last fall i stopped at a yard sale when i seen what i thought was an old desktop pc that turned out to be an empty case. But i did spot a dell "Getting started Microsoft Windows 98,second edition" recovery/installation disc/booklet still in the plastic wrap for 2 dollars.
Well i put the disc in the old dell c600 latitude and followed the prompts all the way through and when all was done and restarted the view on the screen was less then half the size and after locating the drivers needed to fix not only the display but audio and Ethernet adapter as well. The problem i am in need of your help is,,, i can not figure a way to get the drivers on the system. The dvd drive does not work because no driver installed, the usb same thing and no Internet connection because of the same problem,No drivers installed.
So i came here to ask for help. Anyone have any information as to how i can get a driver file installed?
Thank you.
Just got up, and haven't had to work on anything that old in a while lol.

Have you tried going into the system bios and enabling usb or disc?
I think if you enable that service in bios you "should" be good to go. Then just use another pc to get your network card drivers , install them, and if you can get on the internet, go straight to dell and use their system to "inspect" your terminal for missing drivers etc.

* and you might wanna make sure your network card atleast supports 10/100,
Going to Dell may or may not work with the "Dell auto whatever it is" as I'm not sure if it will support an OS that old.
__________________
zero-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Hollrobb
LiveLeaker
 
Hollrobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US , Tennessee
Posts: 430
Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moefugger View Post
Get to the point idiot.
Remove 99% of that babble.
Thank you for reading my back story. Glad you enjoyed it and with positive responses such as your's i'm encouraged to post more.
Thanks again and have a nice week ahead.
Hollrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
DontTreadOnMe2
LL_FFL Champion 2009,2012
 
DontTreadOnMe2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 5,239
DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!DontTreadOnMe2 is a forum GOD!!
Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100
Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100 Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100 Points: 387,054,510, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default

So you used a recovery disk from another machine to "re-install" and now you are surprised that nothing seems to work....

Ok.....

All those recovery disk are specific to the model they came with.

You will have to research your machine to figure out what chipsets and VERSIONS of firmware that MIGHT be on your particular machine, for each and every device. That will eat up many, many hours of spare time. Then you can try to find said drivers in the sea of infected click bait that will come up with every search. If you are lucky - you could find the original install disks on the Dell website - but I would bet they won't be 2 dollars. Even if you find them all, download them, and they all work - In the end you will have a painfully slow machine that will not even browse the majority of websites.


Have fun!

Edit:

Load a version of Linux....

it will be more satisfying, and you will learn something useful.
__________________
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." óGroucho Marx
DontTreadOnMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Hollrobb
LiveLeaker
 
Hollrobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US , Tennessee
Posts: 430
Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe2 View Post
So you used a recovery disk from another machine to "re-install" and now you are surprised that nothing seems to work....

Ok.....

All those recovery disk are specific to the model they came with.

You will have to research your machine to figure out what chipsets and VERSIONS of firmware that MIGHT be on your particular machine, for each and every device. That will eat up many, many hours of spare time. Then you can try to find said drivers in the sea of infected click bait that will come up with every search. If you are lucky - you could find the original install disks on the Dell website - but I would bet they won't be 2 dollars. Even if you find them all, download them, and they all work - In the end you will have a painfully slow machine that will not even browse the majority of websites.


Have fun!

Edit:

Load a version of Linux....

it will be more satisfying, and you will learn something useful.
Maybe it's not a " recovery disk" at all. I've looked the booklet that was in with the disc and it has no mention of a specific model. Only 'Dell" and that is the brand of machine i am working on.
My intent was not to make a big deal of this project. I was just goofing around with what i have in my "Junk" pile of old laptops and towers. I would guess there's websites with groups of people that do just that for Shits and Giggles. Now that i think about it,, that is probably what i should do,,, find a site with members that have such interest.
Thanks for the reply and i'll see what i can learn about linux. I've heard of it but other then that i know nothing about it..
Take care and thanks again.
Hollrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Hollrobb
LiveLeaker
 
Hollrobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US , Tennessee
Posts: 430
Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-g View Post
Just got up, and haven't had to work on anything that old in a while lol.

Have you tried going into the system bios and enabling usb or disc?
I think if you enable that service in bios you "should" be good to go. Then just use another pc to get your network card drivers , install them, and if you can get on the internet, go straight to dell and use their system to "inspect" your terminal for missing drivers etc.

* and you might wanna make sure your network card atleast supports 10/100,
Going to Dell may or may not work with the "Dell auto whatever it is" as I'm not sure if it will support an OS that old.
Thank you zero-g.. Yes i've been in the bios many times looking for such settings and have not found anything that has worked ,,yet. I keep getting driver errors. My whole set back is due to drivers. Can't get drivers on the machine because the method of getting drivers on it requires drivers that's needed to get drivers on it to get driv,,,,Well you see my problem.
Thanks again and have a nice day..
Hollrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
UKatheist
mad as a clowns tadger
 
UKatheist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in yor house crapping in yor cat's litter tray
Posts: 7,977
UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!UKatheist is a forum GOD!!
Points: 743,894,073, Level: 100
Points: 743,894,073, Level: 100 Points: 743,894,073, Level: 100 Points: 743,894,073, Level: 100
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
Default

https://www.linux.com/learn/give-new-life-old-pcs-linux
__________________
Schild und Schwert der Partei
This is a Formica table, green is its colour.
You are stupid like a cork!
Who are you ? Do not bark out of his booth!
UKatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Hollrobb
LiveLeaker
 
Hollrobb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US , Tennessee
Posts: 430
Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!Hollrobb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100 Points: 60,942,342, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKatheist View Post
Thank you for the link UKatheist . I went there and did some reading and found it very interesting. I then found a video with steps on how to make and install disc and use it to get a version of linux installed.
The ram on the laptop i was going to use is very low so i have ordered a pair of ram sticks. So in the meantime i made an linux install disc and attempted to load linux on a spare desktop that is up and running windows 7 but it seems my disc is not working . I'm sure i did something wrong when making it so i went and placed an order for a Linux Mint 18.1, MATE Desktop, 32 & 64 Bit, DVD-ROM..It was only a few bucks.
Thanks again and have a nice day.
Hollrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Xavior
Inconvenient Truther
 
Xavior's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,281
Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!Xavior is a forum GOD!!
Points: 164,867,596, Level: 100
Points: 164,867,596, Level: 100 Points: 164,867,596, Level: 100 Points: 164,867,596, Level: 100
Activity: 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Default

95/98/ME used device manager just like 2k/xp/vista/7/8/10.

Protip: Driver Packs. Don't slipstream just unpack and scan folders with device manager.

Otherwise: hunt drivers with hardware-id

P.S. even in the early two-thousands a lot of BIOS didn't even support USB boot. Only network, IDE, and SATA. VIA boards even later than that for some reason.. I had thinkpads that didn't even support CD boot but could run XP.
__________________
A big load of reality right in your boring face every time I come through

Last edited by Xavior; 04-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Xavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.