Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Special Interest Forums > All Special Interest Topics > Religion and spirituality

Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #21
adaptoman
Deminished responsibility

adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100
Activity: 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Do you have some evidence for that hard wired notion?

I have yet to meet anyone who thinks they can somehow cheat death.

Regards
DL
every culture on earth has a mythology of life after death, whether it be valhalla, reincarnation, crossing the river styx or any number of spirit world join the ancestors
the list is endless and every one of them is born of the desire to defeat death either actually or as some kind of spirit that retains ones individuality
it is a natural reaction to the realization that death is gunna getcha
It is only very recently with the development of the evidence based scientific method that we are starting to realize it ain't gunna happen
even some who have abandoned the god mythology and are ardent atheist have merely replaced a super natural god with superior aliens
go figure
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
Greatest I am
LiveLeaker

Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!
Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100 Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100 Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptoman View Post
every culture on earth has a mythology of life after death, whether it be valhalla, reincarnation, crossing the river styx or any number of spirit world join the ancestors
the list is endless and every one of them is born of the desire to defeat death either actually or as some kind of spirit that retains ones individuality
it is a natural reaction to the realization that death is gunna getcha
It is only very recently with the development of the evidence based scientific method that we are starting to realize it ain't gunna happen
even some who have abandoned the god mythology and are ardent atheist have merely replaced a super natural god with superior aliens
go figure
I see what you meant. I don't know if I would say that that notion is hardwired into us though.

If we were born hardwired to believe in an afterlife, we would not be hardwired to cooperate, which is how we are hardwired. Cooperation supports the notion of that being the best way to insure life. Competition does not support live as much as it creates victims or losers to the competition and that leads to death.

It seems to me that if we saw more than the only life, our instincts would not be locked into our survival mode for the one life we see that strongly.

Can you site any research that proves your point.

I have this bit that proves mine, --- even as I admit that the process could be true but also apply to the multi-life aspect you believe in.

IOW. You could be right but I am not ready to accept it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

Regards
DL
Greatest I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #23
seanjo
Spunking Fucknuts!

seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100
Activity: 83%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

The afterlife mythology is part of self-awareness and realisation of mortality, it's a way of handling the knowledge your life is finite.

If you read it on the internet, it must be true.

Abraham Lincoln
seanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #24
seanjo
Spunking Fucknuts!

seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!seanjo is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,583,409, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by the demon View Post
lol the planet would be better off without mankind. How can that even be contested? We're talking about "The Planet". I'm not saying i'm an advocate of the destruction of humanity. I want to live just as anyone else. Just saying, without human beings, the planet would indeed be a much more beautiful and healthy planet.

Let's say we have beings traveling through the cosmos who are able to go from planet to planet. They see Earth as it is now with it's trashy cities, pollution and many areas where natural habitat has been ruined. Then somewhere else in the galaxy, they see these other planets, full of lively rain forests, jungles, animals ect...

Which would you say was the healthier more beautiful planet? Which planet would you consider, "better off"? In terms of the existence of the planet itself.
ANY civilisation will have been through it's dirty industrial period, ANY civilisation will be war like and willing to kill...it's called survival of the fittest, we are releasing our affect on the planet and are trying to address it, that's called knowledge growth.

You've just proven my point by the way.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #25
gswifty
Full Steam Ahead

gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!
Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100 Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100 Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjo View Post
ANY civilisation will have been through it's dirty industrial period, ANY civilisation will be war like and willing to kill...it's called survival of the fittest, we are releasing our affect on the planet and are trying to address it, that's called knowledge growth.

You've just proven my point by the way.
I might have missed it but when did the native Americans have their dirty industrial period?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
Greatest I am
LiveLeaker

Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!Greatest I am is a forum GOD!!
Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100 Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100 Points: 13,321,730, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjo View Post
The afterlife mythology is part of self-awareness and realisation of mortality, it's a way of handling the knowledge your life is finite.
I agree but do not think us hardwired to create those mythologies.

Regards
DL
Old 04-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
Greatest I am
LiveLeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswifty View Post
I might have missed it but when did the native Americans have their dirty industrial period?
No but they froze to death if the weather was too cold for too long.

The life span was also more like 30 instead of the 80 we enjoy.

Which time would you like to live in?

Regards
DL
Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #28
gswifty
Full Steam Ahead

gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!gswifty is a forum GOD!!
Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100 Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100 Points: 965,420,461, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
No but they froze to death if the weather was too cold for too long.

The life span was also more like 30 instead of the 80 we enjoy.

Which time would you like to live in?

Regards
DL
Sorry dude, my comment was to seanjo. For someone who actually read Quinn he should know his history of civilizations better.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #29
adaptoman
Deminished responsibility

adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!adaptoman is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,494,098, Level: 100
Activity: 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%

Quote:
I see what you meant. I don't know if I would say that that notion is hardwired into us though.

If we were born hardwired to believe in an afterlife, we would not be hardwired to cooperate, which is how we are hardwired. Cooperation supports the notion of that being the best way to insure life. Competition does not support live as much as it creates victims or losers to the competition and that leads to death.

It seems to me that if we saw more than the only life, our instincts would not be locked into our survival mode for the one life we see that strongly.

Can you site any research that proves your point.

I have this bit that proves mine, --- even as I admit that the process could be true but also apply to the multi-life aspect you believe in.

IOW. You could be right but I am not ready to accept it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

Regards
DL
wait a minute I wasn't aware I believed in any multi-life aspect
dude I'm only slightly evolved from that first rock ape pondering his own mortality,
just smart enough to realize that pondering my own mortality is a profitless exercise
regards
Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 AM   #30
seanjo
Spunking Fucknuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswifty View Post
I'm generalising on a planetary scale, which is how any space travelling species will have to have progressed.
As for the Native Americans and any indigenous peoples, they were too slow and got overtaken by us, that's you as well, the Europeans, they didn't have a chance to progress to industrialisation...if they would have ever reached that level.

Abraham Lincoln