Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > War and military actions. > All War And Military Action Topics > General Military Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
tarnoch
Red, Blue, and White

tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!tarnoch is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,554,826, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,554,826, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,554,826, Level: 100
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
Default The Fighting Lady (1944)

“A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

“As long as you still experience the stars as something "above you", you lack the eye of knowledge.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tarnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
gerryowen
Syriasly?

gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

GI beans and GI gravy, gee, I wished I'd joined the Navy.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
BurntBulb
LiveLeaker

BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100 Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100 Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100
Activity: 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryowen View Post
GI beans and GI gravy, gee, I wished I'd joined the Navy.
No you don't. The Navy is the epitome of hurry up and wait. You know it's coming, ain't nothing you can do about it. Can't hide, and can't run away, gotta sit there and take it. That ship is you life, anything happens to it, your in the drink, literally.
At least ground pounders can run away, and airdales can bail out or fly off.

Sure the food was decent, except during heavy seas and combat duties. Then it was cold food for days on end. Try cooking something when the ship is taking 30 to 40 degree rolls, let alone sitting down to eat.
BurntBulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
gerryowen
Syriasly?

gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!gerryowen is a forum GOD!!
Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,531,107, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntBulb View Post
No you don't. The Navy is the epitome of hurry up and wait. You know it's coming, ain't nothing you can do about it. Can't hide, and can't run away, gotta sit there and take it. That ship is you life, anything happens to it, your in the drink, literally.
At least ground pounders can run away, and airdales can bail out or fly off.

Sure the food was decent, except during heavy seas and combat duties. Then it was cold food for days on end. Try cooking something when the ship is taking 30 to 40 degree rolls, let alone sitting down to eat.
My last assignment at Camp Cupcake, Oahu, I lived on Pearl next to the sub base, messed at the Chief's Mess, was great, table cloths, stewards, more of a restaurant than anything I've ever seen in my career.
I know that's not underway, but was a side of the military I'd never seen in 25 years.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
BurntBulb
LiveLeaker

BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!BurntBulb is a forum GOD!!
Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100 Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100 Points: 189,382,041, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryowen View Post
My last assignment at Camp Cupcake, Oahu, I lived on Pearl next to the sub base, messed at the Chief's Mess, was great, table cloths, stewards, more of a restaurant than anything I've ever seen in my career.
I know that's not underway, but was a side of the military I'd never seen in 25 years.
What is my Navy coming to! Letting a ground pounder in the Chief's mess!
Hope you at least used the silver ware.

Yep, we take real good care of our NCO's. They're the ones that keep the military running, the ships sailing, and the planes flying.
All us officers are good for is getting in the way and mucking things up.
And the enlisted men,well....couldn't find the ocean even if they fell in it.
And a few did!
Most I could do for my chiefs was to keep the politics and shit hole officers off their backs and stay outta their way.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
gerryowen
Syriasly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntBulb View Post
What is my Navy coming to! Letting a ground pounder in the Chief's mess!
Hope you at least used the silver ware.

Yep, we take real good care of our NCO's. They're the ones that keep the military running, the ships sailing, and the planes flying.
All us officers are good for is getting in the way and mucking things up.
And the enlisted men,well....couldn't find the ocean even if they fell in it.
And a few did!
Most I could do for my chiefs was to keep the politics and shit hole officers off their backs and stay outta their way.
The chow was great too, but after a few stares, they got used to me after a while, most thought I was a Marine or somethin', even then there were no catcalls or thrown coffee cups. Many stopped by my table just to ask who the hell are you and to look at my rank and I ate breakfast with a group of Senior/Master Chiefs who were Russian/Chinese intel guys who worked over at the big concrete building with no windows on the back side of the sub base.
When any of the dolphin wearers came in they would introduce me as the squatter who took their quarters while they were at sea. I did have the best of quarters too, almost Air Force style.
But it was different from the Army, no Mess Sergeant runnin' around screaming "eat your food and get out!!"
Funny but never saw any place in the service where there was cooperation between the services for housing/messing for troops. Was a great tour for the career twilight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Awards2.jpg (198.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
BurntBulb
LiveLeaker

My brother was an Air Force intelligence officer and we visited each other a few times.
Went to Ramstein for a few days in my dress whites to visit him. Felt like a fish...or should I say, squid out of the water!
Here I am a lowly Ensign in my dress whites at the officers commissary and everybody else is in their utility tans and blues. I did notice all the branches of service represented and some civies too. He told me they were NATO and GS (read CIA) employees.

The 1st time he came to visit me was in Rapallo while anchored out in the bay.
Had to get the Captains permission for him to visit, and my division head O-4(a Lt. Cmdr.) took him on a tour of the ship, 'cause I was standing OD duty. That evening at dinner in the wardroom my brother couldn't keep his mouth shut about some of my childhood antics. All I could do was keep my head down and mouth shut. Ya know, what an Ensign is suppose to do anyway.
From that night I got a nickname from the XO (that I will not repeat here) that stayed with for the whole rest of the cruise! I could'a killed my brother that night.

But I indirectly got my revenge. He has motion sickness, and that night they put him up in a spare bunk in officer country. and he got sick from just the mild rolling of the ship at anchor.
Next day I was off duty so we toured the town. He told me he could never be on a little ship like that at sea, and couldn't understand how I could handle it.
I just had to grin.

Last edited by BurntBulb; 08-04-2016 at 10:48 PM.