Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Politics and Society > Europe

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
LL_Hayden
No Sin Bin can hold ME!

LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!LL_Hayden is a forum GOD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyuk View Post
Is this the year the highstreets die?

JJB......................dead

Comet.................dead

Jessops..............dead

HMV.............dead

Blockbuster ............dead

Wonder who next. Game?

high street is going to end up just being mobile stores, clothes stores and coffee shops.
Game came very close last year didn't they? I'm pretty sure they lost most of their smaller stores and only kept the higher profile ones.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Spudmonkey
Lord Of The Dance

Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100 Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100 Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL_Hayden View Post
Game came very close last year didn't they? I'm pretty sure they lost most of their smaller stores and only kept the higher profile ones.
They took over Gamestation (who were doing extremely well) which I believe saved them.

Always prefered Gamestation, they'd employ serious computer and game geeks that would talk with obvious passion about what they were trying to help you with or sell you as opposed to uninterested (mostly) school leavers
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Spudmonkey
Lord Of The Dance

Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!Spudmonkey is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100 Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100 Points: 1,246,712,793, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8rm8e View Post
When you fail to avoid the worlds slowest and most obvious train wreck, you get little sympathy.

Retail offers little value, not anymore.
Value in terms of money? probably right in most cases.

But they often offer a sense of local identity and actually get people out of their homes.

My nearest large town is starting to look post apocalyptic, many places have changed beyond recognition in the past 10 years and not in a good way.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
l8rm8e
LiveLeaker

l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100 Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100 Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100
Activity: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmonkey View Post
Value in terms of money? probably right in most cases.

But they often offer a sense of local identity and actually get people out of their homes.

My nearest large town is starting to look post apocalyptic, many places have changed beyond recognition in the past 10 years and not in a good way.
Consumer demand outpaced supply chain maturity for decades .. this has lead to massive over investment (and reliance) on expensive prime retail space.

Specialty retailers in towns big enough to justify their existence will survive .. for the reasons you mention (shopping can be therapy, local faces are a selling point, supporting the local economy is virtuous).

What boggles my mind ... is how huge retail chains failed to adapt, value-add themselves into the future, and guarantee their place in the market (for their shareholders and customers).

They committed slow suicide for no good reason.
l8rm8e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Spudmonkey
Lord Of The Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8rm8e View Post
Consumer demand outpaced supply chain maturity for decades .. this has lead to massive over investment (and reliance) on expensive prime retail space.

Specialty retailers in towns big enough to justify their existence will survive .. for the reasons you mention (shopping can be therapy, local faces are a selling point, supporting the local economy is virtuous).

What boggles my mind ... is how huge retail chains failed to adapt, value-add themselves into the future, and guarantee their place in the market (for their shareholders and customers).

They committed slow suicide for no good reason.
Many Speciality retailers and independent traders are struggling and failing due to the presence of the one type of high street trader that is bucking the trend and increasing profits and like for like sales year on year.....namely the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, and Sainsbury supermarkets that have ventured from selling groceries to everything under one roof at extremely competative prices (and in many cases, despite wat other may argue - reasonably good quality).

Not only can you buy your milk and bread but you can rent a DVD, insure your home and buy your kids school uniform (either in store or online) and in the case of tesco, even take out a mortgage.

I think you underestimate the manner in which some of these companies have emploded, whilst I agree with the slow wreck it's pretty difficult for a huge high street presence with all those overheads to compete with internet based competition and the arrival of modern media

Tescos,99p stores & Charity shops.

What a grim and depressing situation

Yes, the above is a very simplistic POV but unless you have a fucking awesome idea and something very uniqe these days you are going to struggle to keep your shop open today and any time in the future.

Times are a changing

Last edited by Spudmonkey; 01-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Spudmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
l8rm8e
LiveLeaker

l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!l8rm8e is a forum GOD!!
Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100 Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100 Points: 1,035,695,929, Level: 100
Activity: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmonkey View Post
Many Speciality retailers and independent traders are struggling and failing due to the presence of the one type of high street trader that is bucking the trend and increasing profits and like for like sales year on year.....namely the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, and Sainsbury supermarkets that have ventured from selling groceries to everything under one roof at extremely competative prices (and in many cases, despite wat other may argue - reasonably good quality).

Not only can you buy your milk and bread but you can rent a DVD, insure your home and buy your kids school uniform (either in store or online) and in the case of tesco, even take out a mortgage.

I think you underestimate the manner in which some of these companies have emploded, whilst I agree with the slow wreck it's pretty difficult for a huge high street presence with all those overheads to compete with internet based competition and the arrival of modern media

Tescos,99p stores & Charity shops.

What a grim and depressing situation

Yes, the above is a very simplistic POV but unless you have a fucking awesome idea and something very uniqe these days you are going to struggle to keep your shop open today and any time in the future.

Times are a changing
I must admit my prior comment totally ignored the duopoly (Woolworths/Coles) down here or the similar Tesco & Co crap you suffer.

I was thinking more about "retail" in general versus other ways to obtain the stuff you want (mail order, phone order, online, group purchase, via coupon/voucher). Also ... the way manufacturing/distribution has consolidated into larger regional clusters and fewer sub-regional distributors.

The whole game is transmogrifying at a phantasmagorical pace.
l8rm8e is offline   Reply With Quote