Liveleak Forums  

Go Back   Liveleak Forums > Information and Support. > Member Support > Misc

Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
alivethruluck

Question My computer thinks its in another country, WTF?

Does anyone have any idea why my laptop or rather the sites i visit when using this laptop keeps asking me if i want to use my local page, eg: Google.co.uk is my local page but it keeps telling me my local page is another country?? its not just google its other mainstream sites also and its only this laptop,the other one knows its in the UK.

Any suggestions??
Old 06-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
BlurryBigfoot
I ♣ Seals

BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!
Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100 Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100 Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

What version of windows are you using? Do you use a proxy? Are you using Wi-fi? Does it happen with all browsers? Have you checked your region settings in the control panel?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
alivethruluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurryBigfoot View Post
What version of windows are you using? Do you use a proxy? Are you using Wi-fi? Does it happen with all browsers? Have you checked your region settings in the control panel?
WO!! Slow down Einstein, windows XP The last version,proxy? wtf is that? I use FF mostly but it happens in both FF and IE7, Yes i'm using wi-fi, i changed the home page in settings so it goes to Google.co.uk otherwise if left to decide for itself it goes the country X, Fleabay still suggests i check out my local ebay when i log into ebay.co.uk ??

Strange,seeing as the other wi-fi laptop doesn't do it.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
BlurryBigfoot
I ♣ Seals

BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!BlurryBigfoot is a forum GOD!!
Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100 Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100 Points: 34,139,029, Level: 100

Proxy is a way of using another IP so you can sort of browse incognito. If you were using a German IP then all the sites you would visit would think you from Germany. It freaks my old lady out.

Go to your Control Panel and check out "Regional and Language Options".
Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
BlurryBigfoot
I ♣ Seals

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002420.html

"The Wi-Fi connection is provided by T-Mobile, which is a German company; perhaps I'm getting an IP address from a batch in Germany. "
Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
alivethruluck

Quote:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002420.html

"The Wi-Fi connection is provided by T-Mobile, which is a German company; perhaps I'm getting an IP address from a batch in Germany. "
I'll go sniff around and see what i can see in the settings you suggested, could someone be directing my online use through their computer to see what i'm up to giving these sites the idea i'm in country X ? It only started happening a week or so ago and ive not changed anything.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
BlurryBigfoot
I ♣ Seals

Also you may want to check your Network Connections on your laptop.

The NIC card might not be set up properly and your getting linked to another signal.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
alivethruluck

Connections correct, in the Region and language settings would setting the advanced sttings back to default do anything good or bad? or make no difference? its just theres tons of boxes ticked and i have no idea whats supposed to be?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
BlurryBigfoot
I ♣ Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivethruluck View Post
Connections correct, in the Region and language settings would setting the advanced sttings back to default do anything good or bad? or make no difference? its just theres tons of boxes ticked and i have no idea whats supposed to be?
Yeah I never touch the advanced ones.

To me it seems like it's on the IP side of it. The sites you are visiting think you are using an IP from somewhere other then the UK.

Can you bring up the list which shows all the possible Wi-Fi connections?

It can sometimes disconnect from your signal and jump to a default one, or someones else's if it were stronger then yours. My D-link would do it from time to time.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
alivethruluck

Quote:
Yeah I never touch the advanced ones.

To me it seems like it's on the IP side of it. The sites you are visiting think you are using an IP from somewhere other then the UK.

Can you bring up the list which shows all the possible Wi-Fi connections?

It can sometimes disconnect from your signal and jump to a default one, or someones else's if it were stronger then yours. My D-link would do it from time to time.
My signal is the only one i pick up in my location with the laptop so i doubt its jumping onto another,also i only have mine in the list of preferences so it wouldn't hook up unless i directed it to, would it ?

But on reading your link it seems to be something a few people are noticing,maybe the company's are selling their services from abroad or have moved abroad since i signed up with my provider who knows?
Maybe Google and a few other net giants are up to something as it seems to be the big players sites that are doing this, who knows, and if i'm being hacked in someway LOL someones got a very boring fruitless task watching my browsing seeing as i dont have a single credit card or any other stuff like that,no bank accounts nada.